#FundingFriday: New Federal Grants Supporting Elementary Education, Study Abroad, Special Education, and more

Nearly 150 federal grants have been posted to Grants.gov already in 2017.

Funding Friday icon

Below are highlights of new funding opportunities that support various forms of education, including secondary, post-secondary, and special education:

1. Department of Justice – OVW FY 2017 Grants to Reduce Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking on Campus Program

The Campus Program encourages a comprehensive coordinated community approach that enhances victim safety, provides services for victims and supports efforts to hold offenders accountable. The funding supports activities that develop and strengthen trauma informed victim services and strategies to prevent, investigate, respond and prosecute sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking.

2. Department of Education – Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE): High School Equivalency Program (HEP)

The purposes of HEP are to help migrant and seasonal farmworkers and members of their immediate family: (1) Obtain a general education diploma that meets the guidelines for high school equivalency (HSE) established by the State in which the HEP project is conducted; and (2) gain employment or be placed in an institution of higher education (IHE) or other postsecondary education or training.

3. Department of Education – Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program

The purpose of the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) Program is to promote, improve, and develop modern foreign languages and area studies at varying levels of education. The program provides opportunities for faculty, teachers, and undergraduate and graduate students to conduct individual and group projects overseas to carry out research and study in the fields of modern foreign languages and area studies. This competition will support both Fulbright-Hays GPA short-term projects (GPA short-term projects) and Fulbright-Hays GPA long-term projects (GPA long-term projects).

4. Department of Labor, Mine Safety and Health Administration – Mine Health and Safety Grants

Under Section 503 of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1977 (Mine Act), Public Law 95-164, as amended, the Secretary of Labor through the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) may award grants to assist U.S. states and territories in developing and enforcing State mining laws and regulations, to improve State workers’ compensation and mining occupational disease laws and programs, and to improve safety and health conditions in the Nation’s mines through Federal-State coordination and cooperation.

5. Department of Education – OSERS: OSEP: Interdisciplinary Preparation in Special Education, Early Intervention, and Related Services for Personnel Serving Children With Disabilities Who Have High-Intensity Needs

The purposes of this program are to (1) help address State-identified needs for personnel preparation in special education, early intervention, related services, and regular education to work with children, including infants and toddlers, with disabilities; and (2) ensure that those personnel have the necessary skills and knowledge, derived from practices that have been determined through scientifically based research and experience, to be successful in serving those children.


5 thoughts on “#FundingFriday: New Federal Grants Supporting Elementary Education, Study Abroad, Special Education, and more

  1. looking for grants for my nonprofit organization. We support the children in inner cities (Newark NJ). Can I please have some direction as to how and where can I start applying with Grant.gov?


    1. Hey Samantha, we have several resources to get you started. First, read this Grant Writing Basics post that will walk you through checking your grant eligibility https://blog.grants.gov/2017/01/10/grantwriting-basics-make-sure-you-are-eligible-before-writing/

      Once you’ve found an opportunity you are eligible for, register with Grants.gov and create a workspace to begin applying. The Applicants tab in Grants.gov has pages with info on these steps http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/applicants.html


  2. Thank you for the information. Unfortunately we don’t have a DUN#. in order to apply for any state grants.


Comments are closed.